Monday, June 26, 2006

Sunrise, Sunrise

Somebody once said that eternity was two people and a baked ham. They have not lived in the North.

The days begin here at approximately 3 in the morning. When I can’t sleep because of the encroaching sunshine, I often sit in my kitchen window and watch the sun rise behind the poplars. It creates this beautiful, flaming mirage that eventually, (though briefly) blisters the trees from existence, as though they have gone up in flames. Then as the sun pushes on above them, they grow from the roots up again, years of growth in minutes as they flower, bloom and leaf.

I never thought that it would get so hot in the daytime here, but with the sun in the sky so long, it only makes logical sense. The hottest point of the day is no longer one or two in the afternoon, but four or five o’clock, which lends handily to me being in the sun for the majority of my workday.

While discovering eternity, I believe I may have also stumbled upon it’s cohort, Hell. I have been working in the permafrost lately, which has the interesting effect on a soul, leading one to believe you are walking through a meat locker, while being blasted with a million blow-dryers on high heat. Essentially, it has the endearing quality of never quite allowing your feet to warm, while your nose blisters and your shoulders crack from the heat. Add to the mix a million mosquitoes, horse flies, and black flies so thick that you need a dusk mask, and you have my average day in the muskeg/permafrost.

The sun does not set until sometime around midnight, by the time it rises the sky has only achieved at best a light dusk. This allows for a) golf tee off times to be booked 24 hours a day, and b) me to get no sleep at all.

Somebody pass me a ham sandwich.

No comments: