Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Namibia Invades Starbucks?

Attemping to alleviate a headache, I stopped by Starbucks at about 1 o'clock. I jumped out of the car, intending to just run in and out. It was the strangest thing. I walked in the door, and into the middle of a pulsating, singing, smiling group of kids, singing the most beautiful music. I felt a little stunned. I know for a fact that I stood in the doorway, gaping, until I turned around, walked out, getting Ian and coming back. They were a young Namibian choir, dancing and singing. It was phenomenal - their voices were so warm and filled all of Starbucks with the feeling of sun and dry heat, energy and vibrancy. (Given that it was 2 degrees outside, it was a feat. ) We stayed and listened to about 15 minutes of music, then left. It was the nicest surprise.

No comments: