Wednesday, November 14, 2007

C'est du Vandalisme! ... un moment... C'est l'Art!


I love Europe. They pour paint into the Trei fountain and after an initial moment of outrage, the police commissioner says "If it was me, *wink* I would say this is art. I wish it had been me! *wink wink*" No lasting damage done and the fountains spraying pinkish red foam? Bien.

In Ottawa however, a relatively benign exhibit displaying Lord Durham, who advocated the assimilation of our French citizens, is being taken down because it is offensive. If I have learned anything in philosophy, it is that we cannot judge the moral actions of an epoch, only the progression of reason towards it's realization - we were not there, it's easy to judge from here.
What I have learned from these two news stories?
No wonder we have shitty art here.

No comments: