Monday, November 12, 2007

Because If I Didn't Rate the Food, I Wouldn't Have Much To Say.

I wanted to see the Joe Fafard show at the Udell gallery this weekend, so looped Ian into doing the entire 124th Street gallery walk with me. It turned into more of a trot, or perhaps even an outright run, as we discover that not only do Edmonton's curators have no problem displaying naked pigs dressed as judges as cookie jars (seriously) but that they also seriously lack any epicurean talents as well. So, as a result of mediocre mediocrity, I have decided to rate the galleries both on clientèle, food, and lastly.. art.

Douglas Udell Gallery - I really like this space, don't get me wrong. Converted house, high ceilings, more rooms than usual, I like it. However, mediocre red wine and the fact that I brought the median age down by about 100 years was a tad dissapointing. Joe Fafard, the sculpter on display, is a Canadian that has happened to scratch the paint on the world stage, so it was a little dissapointing to see a geriatric turn out. I was going over CPR in my mind, and was really afraid to see any of them drinking lest it thin their blood anymore. I find that in general a more.. vibrant.. clientelle leads to a simultaneously vibrant and interesting feel to both the space and the art. All I got? An eyeful of cattle sculptures (seriously, I realise the rodeo and cattle show is in town, but they're not going to come to your gallery. Show us something a little more diverse and not so.. predictable.) and the certainty that I will NOT cut my hair into a bob when I turn 60. I was disappointed that they didn't include more of a showing of Fafard's drawings, which I like a lot more - but I guess you've got to play to the audience. Moo. Oh yeah, and the food? Until that day I'd never had a BAD Bernard Callebaut chocolate. Enough said, yes?



Scott Gallery
- Don't get me wrong, a nice landscape is as thrilling and effective as a portrait. And some of Phyllis Anderson's works were fabulous - I guess I was just a little.. ho hum about them? They would look perfectly at home in the Westin, or in a nice upscale brunch place. The audience was a little younger, the gallery girls were smartly dressed (one had these acid green shoes on that I think I may have spent more time looking at than the paintings), and everyone seemed genuinely pleased to be there. Plus, the mini-quiches were piping hot, which is a feat unto itself. A great space, long and heavy on the front window, I really like it. Wasn't bad, but I liked the food more than art.


Agnes Bugera-
I'm going to have to award the "Worst Food, Best Art" award here. I'm pretty sure the lettuce was rotting under the cheese that was funny looking.. and hell, I'm all for funny looking cheese but this was NOT right. Ian liked the pop with hunks of strawberries floating it in, but it really couldn't make up for the weird munchies. HOWEVER, all was saved by Greg Edmunsons AMAZING AMAZING paintings. A strange cross between sleepy hollow and something that reminded me of a lost Muslim woman, landscape and the emergence of man in that landscape - it took my breath away. So did the shitty cheese, but in a way better way. I recommend that anyone in Edmonton try and see if before it's gone.


West End Gallery - Unfortunately, with a "Worst Food, Best Art" award, we need a complementary "Best Food, Worst Art" award. Though I guess that isn't so.. complementary. A beautiful space, very well lit, obviously with a lot of money (high res flat screen tv behind the 60 year old gallery girls desk with other paintings by the same artist scrolling by). But my god. Guy Roy's paintings looked like a young autistic Hans Christian Anderson on meth did them. It was horrible. Landscapes with crooked acid colored shacks, thick thick gloms of paint masquerading as technique and really just looking like whomever painted it just threw a shit fit because they couldn't keep spinning in circles.. It was horrible. I couldn't stop laughing. I know thats terrible, but it was just so heinous that I couldn't help myself. HOWEVER - the food. Great red and white wine, coffee with mint Bailey's, and the cheese.. soft goat topped with port and cranberries, warm brie, old cheddar.. awesome. Unfortunately, it was at the back of the gallery, so you had to sheild your eyes and run lest you suffer an artistic stroke. *giggle*

No comments: